Skip to content

History of Rockley

1813:  The land was first surveyed by Surveyor Evans.
1818:  The land was granted to William Lawson. A trained surveyor who arrived in Australia in 1800.
1829:  Governor Darling granted 1920 acres to Captain Watson Augustus Steel, who named the property Rockley after his birthplace in Wiltshire, England.
1848:  The village was opened after copper was discovered 8km from the town. Gold discovery in surrounding districts, such as Campbell, Isabella Rivers and Abercrombie caves, also attracted new settlers to the area.
Now Rockley MIll Museum

Construction of Budden & Stanger’s Store and Stanger’s Flour Mill, Rockley (1870-1875) (Source: NSW State Library)

Advertisements